Many attorneys are moving towards a paperless office in the modern era of technology. Several apps make working away from the office more convenient.
- WestlawNext: WestlawNext offers a free app on Android and iOS to ensure available research information on the go.
- Lexis Advance: Lexis subscribers can take full advantage of the service with this free app available on the iPad and iPhone.
- FastCase: FastCase offers a free app on iOS and Android providing access to federal and state case law and statutes. Additionally, the app allows users to create an account and save searches for future reference.
- Adobe Reader: Adobe Reader provides several useful functions for tablet users. The app allows users to add text boxes to forms, add a signature, and email the completed PDF.
- Documents To Go: Available for iOS, Android, and Blackberry devices, this app allows users to view and edit Microsoft Office files. The app will also sync with cloud services including Dropbox and Google Drive. The app is available for purchase at a basic and premium level, which includes PowerPoint editing.
- Dropbox: One of the most popular cloud services, Dropbox allows users to store and access files across their devices in the cloud. Dropbox offers both a basic level with limited storage for free, and monthly plans with enhanced security and storage.
- LogMeIn: This app allows access into your PC or Mac from an iOS or Android device. There are different services available, with varied functionality depending on how you need to use the app.
- TrialPad: This app, designed with trial attorneys in mind, allows attorneys to save and organize various documents, including pictures, videos, and PDF files by case. The app will import documents from cloud services and email, and allows case files to be shared with other TrialPad users.
- iTimeKeep: This app, available for Android and iOS, lets you keep track of time and billing on the go and integrates several popular billing programs including ProLaw and Amicus. The app itself is free, however, the cost to use it varies based on usage.
- TimeMaster + Billing: This low cost app for iOS allows for billing and time keeping while away from the office. While it does not sync with billing software, it does sync across devices.